Abandoned ‘ghost island’ Yim Tin Tsai was once home to 1000+ Hakka people. By the late 80s/ early 90s, all of the inhabitants had resettled elsewhere in HK, in Britain and Poland. It is now home to just a caretaker, a small organic farm and a small, recently restored UNESCO protected chapel. Many of the buildings are now being slowly reclaimed by nature as it is often not known who owns them.
There are several $35 public ferries from Sai Kung pier on weekends and holidays only. Departure times from Sai Kung: 10am, 11am, noon, 1pm, 2pm… Departure times from Yim Tin Tsai: 12:30pm, 2:30pm, 4pm, 5pm. There are snacks available on the island – it is only around 1sq km, so an afternoon visit of around 4 hours would be enough to complete the short hike around the village, cemetery, lookout point, well and abandoned salt farm.
Click to enlarge map: