- See the Laos Wikitravel Page
- Hardcore bargaining is not necessary in Laos and may cause embarrassment. Decent medical facilities are near non-existent in Laos, you’d need to go to Thailand.
- The local currency ‘kip’ is used for cheaper items, ‘Thai Baht’ for more expensive things and US dollars are the top tier currency. It’s best to travel with a stash of all three, but try and support the local currency, you’d be doing a favour to the economy.
- Vang Vieng – Backpacker slum, all your guidebook says about it is true, it’s a Westerner’s party town and little else, go ‘inner-tubing’ on the river.
- Luang Prabang – Gorgeous place, adventure sports available, see the waterfalls and beautiful temples – some of the best tourist tat for sale here at great prices. Do your shopping here; they have some lovely handmade things on sale.
- Vientiane – Great food, a sleepy riverside capital, check out the museums and temples, perhaps hire a scooter.
- Savannakhet – Last stop before Vietnam, a very chilled out riverside town with amazing crumbling French colonial architecture. See the Dinosaur Museum and temples.
Download all of my Southeast Asia tips as a PDF.